E-Cigarette Exploded in Teen's Mouth, Damaging His Jaw

June 20, 2019

Joegend iStock / Getty Images Plus

In March of 2018, Kailani Burton and her husband heard a loud pop, followed by their 17-year-old son, Austin, racing into the living room with a bloodied jaw. This was no firearm accident, as one might assume; rather, an e-cigarette had exploded in the boy's mouth. On Wednesday, the pediatric surgeon who treated Austin in Utah published a report on the incident, hoping that it will warn the public about the dangers of vaping. Referring to vape pens, Dr. Katie Russell tells The New York Times, "They can explode in your pocket. They can explode in your face. I think there’s a health concern.” It turns out that Burton bought the vape pen for her son in hopes of weaning him off tobacco cigarettes. "I bought it for him. I should have protected him," she says now.